Hey awesome friends and loyal readers of Pro Motivator. I know it’s been quite sometime I present to you “The Extra-Ordinary Bloggers Interview” and here we are again and I hook up this time with an amazing blogger, designer, developer and of course manager of BRUM DESIGN (Click the link to Read More bout Phillip…)
I’m sure you already know his name from the headline and I am just going to officially introduce you to him, and he is no other person than my boss at the top – Sir Phillip Dews owner of BRUM DESIGN.
So not to waste much time I’d like to bring him on the SHOW Straight Up! 🙂
1. So Phillip, Welcome to Pro Motivator!
Phillip: Hi Sam, great to be here! Thank you for inviting me to your blog and answer these questions! I hope your readers find reading more about me and my blog helpful, inspiring and all that good stuff.
2. My audience would love to know more about you. Would you please introduce yourself to them?
Phillip: Sure thing Sam. Well I am Phillip who is turning 40 at the end of 2015 and I live in a place called Birmingham which is in the heart of the UK and its second biggest city! I live with my partner Louise in a little village on the outskirts of the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield called Minworth. That’s it in a nutshell.
3. So I was wondering when did Phillip start blogging and how has it been like so far? Do tell us everything.
Phillip: I gave up my career in Pub management to become self-sufficient and be a blogger, website designer and developer. I used to have a blog 5 years ago called TheEpicBlog.com which I gave up 3 years ago as it was not earning anything!
Last year I started it back up again but this time with a different attitude to blogging. I now blog to be free and it’s my passion to help others be free! This has been taught to me by my good friend Ryan Biddulph of Blogging from Paradise. – And Ryan just finished an awesome book I think you should get. Check Here
Actually I have been blogging this time round for a little under 11 months now and this morning I had over 70 posts published on my blog. Now I have 7 on there as I felt my early attempts 11 months ago are still not up to my expectations and was just sat there collecting dust!
4. Motto you live by:
Phillip: Vitanda est improba siren desidia – this is by a guy named Horace and it means – One must avoid that wicked temptress, Laziness.
5. What is your blogging philosophy?
Phillip: Make it all about them, your readers that is. Go out the way to make your readers feel special and loved.
[Tweet “Bloggers who chase after money and not take the Karmic approach to blogging eventually give up! – Phillip Dews”]
6. Give us short tips to write a viral post from the scratch.
Phillip: Hmm good question!
- Make it your best content. Find a common problem that faces your audience then supply the solution in the blog post.
- Don’t stop after writing it expecting it to go viral. Blogging is not just writing posts and publishing them. It’s leveraging social media. And leaving comments on other blogs in your niche.
7. How are you currently monetizing your blog traffic?
Phillip: At the moment the money is not really the driving force for me. I blog to live a lifestyle and I like to think that I am helping others achieve their lifestyle by proving massive value and making it all about them.
People who start blogs purely for money are doomed to fail. Because they are chasing the money! Blogging is a karmic career and people who help people get their just rewards. Think of sowing and reaping. Ryan has a great saying ‘Give Freely, Receive Easily’.
However I do have some Google AdSense on my blog and one affiliate product that I highly recommend but I have not earned anything from which is ok as it’s all about Karma for me and should be for you and your readers.
[Tweet “Patience is a tool, and it’s free. Blogging is a marathon and not a sprint after all! – Phillip Dews”]
8. How many bloggers have you successfully helped till date? Are they near success at all?
Phillip: There are a few clients I have built websites for as you can see on my portfolio HERE. But the main one that a lot of your readers would know is Ryan again. I developed and designed his new blog last month.
Is here near success! I would say that success is earned, sure Ryan is living the lifestyle he wants but it takes, work, dedication, passion and a gut feeling that no matter what life throws at us we overcome it with our passion.
9. Can you give us three recommended tools/services that you use with your blogging?
- Patience is my tool, and it’s free. Blogging is a marathon and not a sprint after all!
- A good host. Krystal is my host of choice because they have legendary customer service, superfast SSD drives and a server farm 25 meters underground in an ex-Nuclear bunker.
- Hootsuite because it makes me look as if I am everywhere. (And did I tell you he is a Certified Hootsuite Professional?)
[Tweet “‘Give Freely, Receive Easily’. – Ryan Biddulph”]
10. If you only had $100 to start a new blog, how would you use it?
Phillip: Get a good host mainly and spread it out as my host offers a free domain name with their business accounts.
11. Do you have any specific blogs you love to read? Why do you love such blogs?
Phillip: I read new ones everyday but I do have a core few that I check on a weekly basis like Ryan’s, Smart passive income by Pat Flynn, Problogger and Entrepreneurs-Journey .com
I suppose because they provide value and help their core audience.
[Tweet “Blogging is not just writing posts and publishing them. It’s leveraging social media. – Phillip Dews”]
12. What is the easiest way to make money as a blogger?
Phillip: There is no easy way. Long hours, hard work, passion for what your writing about, dedication and an intense passion to never give up! But most of all patience.
13. Walk me through the step-by-step process that you went through to get to where you’re today. What was the first thing you did? Next?
Phillip: Buy a domain name that’s easy to remember, catchy, resonates with me and my audience. Next get an awesome web host and install WordPress the old fashioned geeky way.
14. You have a wealth of knowledge in the area of writing. How do I write a quality post that will strike attention and will make people leave tons of comments on my blog?
Phillip: Simple a catchy title that grabs your readers and drags then to the post, epic valuable content that provides inspiration or solves a problem. Leaving useful, inspiring, helpful comments on other blogs in your niche.
15. How do you ensure that your blog remains relevant in the blog-o-sphere?
Phillip: Keeping up with new trends, staying active on social media by using Hootsuite. Keeping my blog fresh with a great design. Keeping it Fast, Blazing fast. Using tools like Google webmaster tools and Analytics.
16. Who is the single person that has inspired you as far as blogging concerned?
Phillip: My Late Mother, Patricia Dews. A close second would be Ryan.
17. Which do you think produces better result, Guest posting or Blog commenting?
Phillip: SEO wise I assume? I would say both in equal measures. Bloggers should think of both practices as an opportunity to prove Value, Epic and Massive Value. It’s not uncommon for me to leave 1000+ word comments on blog posts. Make it so that the readers can get something out of your comment or guest post!
If I was forced to choose though, I would say Guest Blogging is better. But we must learn as bloggers that both provide us the same opportunity.
18. In your own opinion, what do you think separates the greatest blogs and the poor ones?
Phillip: Bloggers who chase after money and not take the Karmic approach to blogging eventually give up! The greatest blogs are the ones that provide the greatest worth and in turn become the most valuable to both the audience and the blog owner.
19. What in your opinion should be the basic steps to becoming a Pro-Blogger?
Phillip: Never Give Up. If you are passionate enough then a new blogger will never give up before reaching their goal!
20. In your honest opinion, what do you think we need to improve on here at Pro Motivator?
Phillip: Hmm I would say to use a bigger logo, but apart from that nothing!
21. Anything else you would love to add?
Phillip: Nope I think that’s it Sam.
22. I’m just curios. Do you think you can sell your blog in the future?
Phillip: Not that I would want to, but if It came to that then yes I suppose I could sell it. However I would never do that as I love BRUM DESIGN mine too much.
23. How can readers of the blog get intouch with you?
24. Thanks so much, Phillip for attending our “Extra-Ordinary Bloggers Interview”.
No Thank you Sam, I loved this interview I hope that your readers find some value and inspiration from it. Thank you for the opportunity for telling a little bit of my life for you and your readers of Pro Motivator.
Back to you distinguished readers
You have heard from the Minister of Design – Phillip Dews of Brum Design. Do you have any questions on blogging, designing/developing or perhaps Internet Marketing and you would love to get a genuine answer? Go ahead and drop your thoughtful questions in the comment box below; Phillip would be more than happy to provide you honest answers to those thought provoking questions of yours.
If you like this interview, be sure to share it with your friends and visitors to your blogs. Make sure you Tweet it.